Wednesday, June 25, 2008

The Dark Defender

Last night/early this morning I hosted a Dexter marathon.

For those of you who don't know, Dexter is a Showtime series about a serial killer. The twist in this overused plot is that 1. Dexter works for a forensics lab in Miami and 2. He only kills killers.

The role of Dexter is played by Michael C. Hall. Hall is most noted for his role as the homosexual brother on 6 Feet Under (another show I loved). Dexter as a child was orphaned when his mother was chained sawed to death because she was a drug dealing snitch. Dexter was found by Harry (the cop to whom Dexter's mother was snitching) in a blood soaked cargo container. Harry then raised Dexter to become a killer. But as I said before, he only kills the killers who escaped legal punishment. 

Watching Dexter try to balance a normal 9-5 life while moonlighting as serial killer who likes to hack up his victims is entertaining. I'm not a big fan of the dialog. With the exception of Dexter's sister and one us his forensic pals, I find the dialog to be dry and uninspired. However, the plot twists are exceptional. I thought for sure that Dexter was going to get busted in the season finale but a well written escape saved the day. I really love this show. 

Anyway, I hadn't seen much of season 2 until last night where I watched the last 6 episodes and didn't get to bed till 5am. Add to this a 9am meeting today and another meeting tonight, I'll be dragging today. 

But it was well worth it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey William,
It's Mary Z. (Emily's Mom). We watch Dexter also and love it. I also watched six feet under. What a different role for him!!
Do you like Rescue Me?