Thursday, June 12, 2008

I am the Walrus

For some reason God has decided that I should become 'Savior of the Turtles.'

We all know the story of Clem, my little painted turtle who found his way to my doorstep and is now living comfortably, and as far as I can tell happily, in his tank.

Last week while I was heading to the store I nearly ran over a box turtle. Luckily I was able to pull over, stop traffic and get him to the wooded area on the other side of the road. 

Today, as I was turning into my community I found a fairly large snapping turtle who was about to make his way across the street. I pulled over and after giving the turtle a stick to chomp on, picked him up, placed him in the back of my Jeep, and drove him down to the water where I released him.

A few months ago the girls and I found another snapping turtle by the side of the road. and while the one I found today was the size of a dinner plate, the turtle the girls and I found had a shell the size of a hubcap. I picked that turtle up and held it outside the car window so the girls could get a look at it before taking it down to the woods. Nikki wanted to keep it as a pet so I had to explain to her the some turtles just don't make very good pets. Every once in a while Nikki will say 'remember when we found that turtle.' 

Yeah, I remember.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

yeah, kinda funny wich memories stick around, i remember walking with my daughter when she was around 4/yo on a golf course after a heavy rain, and we saw this fish that got washed up on the cart path flopping around we threw him back in the pond, she still remembers it, (of course she also remembers the time she threw up spaghettio-o's on the family room rug)