Monday, April 14, 2008

The Brain and the Princess

When you have more then one child you tend (or at least I do) to label them by the dominant trait that makes them a bit different from each other. This is not to say that the label does not apply to each. I guess it's just the way you would describe them to a stranger which is kinda what I'm doing now.

Nicole was born in October of 2003. She was a product of IVF or In Vitro Fertilization. For those who don't know, this is a procedure that extracts the eggs from a woman and injects them with sperm. The eggs are then placed back into the woman and the hopes are that the eggs are strong enough to divide and grow into a human being. My wife and I decided that this was something we needed to try as having a baby naturally wasn't working. My wife's age and health were a factor. At the time the chances of us being able to conceive a child this way was around 37%. For it to happen on the first try was around 23%  The doctors replaced three eggs (which by the way, OH MY GOD. Triplets?) and on the first try one survived and became Nikki. I am convinced that there was much more then science involved in our success.

Before Nikki was 2 years old she had a vocabulary of over 100 words. By the time she was 3 she was talking in spanish. She could recite which two primary colors to mix to create a secondary color. By 4 years old she was using the word coincidence correctly in conversation. She loves animals and insects of all kinds and has a respect for their care and well being. She has been in fights defending the life of a bug. She wants to be a doctor and Vet when she grows up. She is in many ways her fathers daughter.

My daughter Jessica was born in April of 2005. She was a surprise as she was conceived naturally when my wife and I didn't think that this would be possible for us. My wife would later say to me that she knew having another baby was a mistake.

NOTE TO READER - I stated earlier that one purpose of my blog was to have my thoughts available to my children when they are of age to understand. However, I think that certain things must be written for other readers to get a better understanding of how things are. There will be many things edited before my children are of blog reading age. No child should ever believe that they were a mistake. I know this first hand.

Jessie is my princess. She loves all things pink, fluffy and sparkly. She likes dresses, and shiny shoes. She worships the holy trinity, Snow White, Cinderella, and Sleeping Beauty. While Nicole was a cranky infant, Jessica was more smiles then tears. She is one of the most affectionate 3 olds I have ever met. She will come up and kiss or hug you for no reason. She loves her big sister and follows her anywhere. She is a pure, wonderful light in my life.

I understand that I may be posting a lot. Please try and follow along as I have a back story to tell before I can really move forward.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

William, thank you for the invitation to visit your blog. You have a very unique writing style. Me and quite a few of the women have found it to be very entertaining so far. Please keep writing. Our prayers are with you and the children.

Anonymous said...

Your kids sound amazing, William. Both of them unique in their own ways. I've heard tales of the both of them, and smile every time you share them with us. :)

They'll be happy to see how much you love and care for them when they can look back upon all of this.