Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Send Lawyers, Guns, and Money

First of all I want to thank those who have left comments and have been a great source of support. Thank you, thank you, thank you.

My problem right now is that no legal action has been filed. It's kind of like calling the police when you have an argument about who's turn it is to take out the trash. Until a rule or law has been broken there's nothing that can be done. If she had left the house and done this then I could file for abandonment and ask for support. As it stands this isn't an option. Her lawyer has told her not to stop medical payments (I assume) such as insurance and co-pay. Her doing so would be looked upon very harshly when this does go to the courts. She is also providing a meager allowance whenever she feels like it so I can buy a few things for the kids when we go out. And I'm ok on the basic food items although I have a buy my own Cap'n Crunch Berries (hey, we all have our vices). Gas, credit card payments and the rest are on my dime.

As far as legal aid goes, so far I've been S.O.L. A weird thing about about agencies that offer support to low income families is that yes they will handle divorce cases but they base your eligibility on the household income. So the fact that my wife makes a bunch of money disqualifies me. Go figure. 

I have talked to a few lawyers while getting free or low cost consultations. I have also employed an agency that will offer advice for which I pay for monthly. But what it is is what it is. Nothing can be done until one of us leaves. 

My wife loves her money. I'm sure that handing over that retainer to her lawyer gave her quite a few nightmares. In her mind our house is hers, she's been paying for it and she isn't going to leave. If she wants to give me primary custody of my children then I would be happy to take them and leave. But this won't happen either. Also if she leaves, and I'm sure the lawyer has told her this, there is a very good chance that I will be allowed to stay in the house with the children while she makes support payments for at least the duration of the separation. 

So here we are, two gunfighters facing off in the middle of town, waiting for the other to flinch. The question is, is her hormones stronger then my love and concern for the well being of my children. No contest.

And one final note to all you 'men' out there who are so hard up that you're willing to break up a family, on my scum list you all are right below pedophile priests and the brainiac who cancelled Firefly. 

Next - I'm though running, I aim to misbehave.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wish I was closer so I could give you a big hug...Oh, and so me and Jen could come round and annoy your wife.

Stick at it, you're in the right. It'll be tough. It'll hurt like hell. But you've done nothing wrong. Stay strong.

She's made the decision so she needs to pick up and go, and realize what it is she's chosen to do. It's not your choice or your downfall, it's hers.

Man, I sound all preachy...lol Hell, I just don't like seeing a guy I like and respect get treated badly. There's no need :(

Feel free to delete these little supportive rants when it comes time for your kids to read the blog, I know I can be a little...loudmouthed :p