Friday, May 9, 2008

I Do Not Like Green Eggs and Ham

I wanted to start by wishing all you moms out there a Happy Mothers Day. I hope your day is special and that you all are truly thanked for the wonderful jobs you all do. Being a mom is quite a task.

I also want to wish my mother a very special Mothers Day. My biological isn't what anyone would call a mother by any stretch and I haven't talked to her in about 15 years, but my stepmother, my second and current stepmother is just wonderful. I've known my current stepmother all my life and she has always been there to guide me. She won't always tell me what I want to hear but she always tells me what I need to hear.

Let's spend 14 seconds updating any of you new readers who haven't yet been able to catch up on everything.

My name is William and I've been a stay at home father to my two children Nicole and Jessica since my oldest was born 4 1/2 years ago. My wife wants a divorce. She says she's unhappy so she's decided to throw me and the kids under the bus so she can go out and be happy. She wants me out of the house but I'm not leaving without my children. She has never been what anyone would call a real mother and there is no way I would willingly give her custody especially considering their age. We can't get divorced without being separated for at least a year but neither one of us is leaving the house. She has stopped supporting me financially and has left me with 15k in credit debt without me having any incoming funds to pay these off.

So enough of that.

One of the truly suck things about being financially strapped is that I can't just spend money on the girls when I want to.

I took the girls to go see Horton Hears a Who last month when it came out. We went with my sister in law and her youngest daughter. My girls had a blast. Afterwards Nikki chased every speck of dust she saw for three days hoping to hear a little voice coming from the speck. And for me it was such a great memory but the bill for it was outrageous. 3 tickets along with popcorn and soda set me back about $50. And this doesn't even include the gas we used for my 1994 Jeep Grand Cherokee that gets about 14 miles to the gallon.

It's costs me $40 a month so Nikki can have access to the internet. My wife cut this off in some sadistic attempt to hurt me, meanwhile our daughter who is learning so much gets caught in in the crossfire. All it would take anyone is to sit with my girl as she shows you all the great things she can do and has learned because of the web to understand that $40 bucks is a bargain. Well it's a bargain when you can afford it.

And the worst thing about all of this is that my wife has no limitations on what she can spend on the girls and she takes advantage of it. She takes them out on the weekends and spends all kinds of money on them while I have to think about spending $6 to rent them a dvd every once in a while.

My mother is quick to point out that the girls don't need to go to the movies, or have internet, or McDonalds, and to a point I agree with her. It's not good to spoil your children with excess. But they're children for such a short time, I want them to experience these things. And I as a parent want to experience these things through their eyes. It's a benefit of being a parent to see the wonder in your child's eyes as they watch a 50ft elephant chase a piece of dust across a movie screen.

And I can hear my wife now 'Oh, but I leave money for you to do things with the girls.' These are hollow words coming from the clueless. Meanwhile she spends 7 times that amount in 1/10 the time.

But I guess that's about right. I mean how much does guilt cost these days?

And in the 'Things that make go you wtf department.'.... 1-800 Flowers is running a contest where customers vote on their favorite 'mom archetype'. Included in their offered choices was the weekend warrior moms and the baking cookies moms along with, you guessed it, "Mr. Mom."

I am a FATHER who stays at home and raises his kids and I do a great job. Spend 10 minutes with either of my children and you'll figure that out. I am not a mother, I am not a woman, and I am not "Mr. Mom." I am a man. And if you have any doubts regarding my manhood Mr. Head of Marketing for 1-800 Flowers then I invite you to stop by my house sometime so I can kick your bitchy, little ass.

And if you are a Mrs. Head of Marketing at 1-800 Flowers you are still invited to stop by. I have other ways of proving my manhood.

Happy Mothers Day!!!!!

UPDATE - It looks like 1-800 Flowers has pulled the Mr. Mom option in their contest. A little late but we fathers take victories when we can.

No comments: