Thursday, May 15, 2008

Spiderman


Day 2 of my Twelve Step Program to forget about Food Lion Girl.

First I have to admit that I have a problem.

But I don't have a problem, really. Yes I did just spend 45 minutes yesterday going through our cupboards and freezer looking for any excuse to go to the store. And sure, every woman I see I imagine in khaki pants and a blue polo shirt. And ok, so there is some strange voice in my head screaming 'Clean up on aisle 4' over and over again.

But really, I don't have a problem. I can quit anytime I want.




Three more days of school left.

I haven't been really good at networking with the other parents. This is due in part to the fact that I just still feel like an outsider. I don't feel like I have a lot in common with them. But a really big part of why I have this problem is that most of the parents who I interact with at Nikki's school are women and I'm not. And unfortunately there will always be a a tension.

I will be the first to admit that in the privacy of my own head there are a couple moms in Nikki's school who I feel all kinds of tingly about. I think that's ok. But they are married and they have kids. There is no way in hades that I would ever do anything that would give them any reason to think of me as anything but Nikkis daddy. And while I would be alright with setting up a play date for our kids, and they would be ok with it, I'm not sure their husbands would be ok. And I wouldn't blame them. There are plenty of scummy guys who don't care who they hurt as long as they get what they want and every man knows that.

Luckily Stacey, who is the mother of Nikkis best friend Rosalie is one of the mothers I can hang out with. I have a good relationship with her husband Shane, as we have been out drinking and we see each other at the gym all the time. The big thing for me will be to set up the play dates and follow up on plans. I am also hoping we can spend an afternoon or two with Aiden.

We also have my sister in law and her kids to hang with. Last year we went to the pool with them a lot and it's something that both NIkki and Jessie enjoy. Jessie was a little scared of the water last year but hopefully she'll be better this time around. The really great thing is that my sister in law loves the kids to death and she is very active with them. She has really been my best friend through everything.

Ok, a couple of parting notes.

First, I have a bunch of stuff written but they are all in different stages of completion. My head has been bouncing back and forth between events and it's been difficult to stay on track to the end. I may need to slow down a bit and I may skip a day or two here and there.

Second, Robert who has been emailing me about his stuff and my stuff wrote me yesterday saying that the paternity tests came back on Tuesday and he is indeed the father. This is great news. He now has a shot at getting some kind of custody.

And lastly two questions asked by Nikki in the last couple weeks that I must relay.

1. Do ferrets fart?
2. Is he called Iron Man because he irons things.

Bye for now

No comments: