Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Let Me Take You Down, 'Cause I'm Going to Strawberry Fields


I hate Wednesdays.

Last week Nikki had a runny nose and coughs. She then passed this on to Jessies who then, of course, gave it to me. I started with a sore throat last night and this morning I have a stuffy nose, coughs and a headache. And to top it all off it's Wednesday.

Wednesdays is the day for my wife's special meeting. Wednesdays she takes extra time getting all dressed up then she leaves to do what she does. I would like you to take a few seconds to think about how you would feel every Wednesday morning as your spouse walks out the door if you were in my position. I can say this though, at least she didn't wake me up by poking me with a broom in front of Jessie this morning....again.

It's the little pleasures in life.

Yesterday Nikki's school had a field trip to The Smithsonian Environmental Research Center. I'll be referring it to SERC. The other is way too many key strokes.

SERC is a facility that's about 3 miles from our home. They serve to educate people on the land and water ecosystems. It's a pretty cool place and the kids had a blast. There were tanks with crabs and turtles and fish. There were lots of skeletons and pelts from animals around Maryland that the children were allowed to pick up and hold. It was a great day.

Aiden wasn't able to be there and as I watched the boys from the 3 year old am class, (Nikki is in the pm class) beat each other with pieces of foam I really started to miss my friend. Maybe it's because I've only seen Aiden around the girls. Or maybe it's because he's the older brother of two sisters, but he hasn't shown me that he has that chaotic boy side. And as always do, I thanked god that I have girls.

The great thing about visiting SERC was that our guide Kim was able to identify Clem as a Painted turtle by looking at a picture I had brought. The first thing she told me was that it was illegal to keep wild animals. As Clem is now part of the family I kinda shrugged that off. Next she said that Painted turtles are aquatic and needed a water tank. Good to know. Luckily his current tank is an old fish aquarium so that wasn't going to be a problem. She then gave me some tips on caring for him. So when I got home I dug the little guy up a couple earthworms from the garden. And Clem went to town munching those worms. And he seems extremely happy now swimming all over.

I did have one little incident while setting up Clems new home.

I had gone to our front yard to get one of the large, flat rocks that line our driveway. I planned on using it as a resting spot for the tank. I grabbed a rock and started to walk inside I noticed that underneath the rock there was a clump of dirt and dead leaves. I went to brush this away and I found a Black Widow Spider. I'm not honestly sure whether or not I screamed. I did not hear myself make a sound. I do however recall that a few of the neighborhood dogs started to howl so maybe I did. It was just a weird experience to have one of those spiders that close.

The things I do for my babies.

Sorry if this post isn't up to par. I am truly sick, both physically and spiritually. And it's Wednesday. Hopefully I be back all locked and loaded tomorrow.

Peace and Love,
W

No comments: